Hello! Greetings from Vernal Utah!
There are plenty of rocks and dirt and the only way to have a nice green lawn is to water it a lot :P There are a lot of dinosaur statues around here and Sister Hedley, my companion, pointed out some hills where paleontologist are always digging up new Dino bones. Definitely a dino land.
Where to start?
Let's start with my trainer and awesome companion, Sister Hedley from Toronto, Canada. She is just 3 months younger than me and has been out in the field for 3 months. We have the same middle name and she has the same name as Kate only spelled differently. She is super at teaching and super funny.She says bag like "bog". And in her family, she is the only girl and the youngest of four children.
Vernal, Sister Hedley says, is like the Celestial Kingdom of Utah. I believe it. There are so many prepared and searching nonmembers and less actives. We are currently teaching a mother(Karen about 50 yrs old) and daughter(Kim about 30 yrs old) that Sister Hedley and her former companion Sister Loeta worked with. I committed them to baptism and they are "on date" for Oct 26. Karen wants to gain a testimony of Joesph Smith and was reluctant to set a baptismal date but excepted it after a little bit of gentle coaxing from us and the spirit.
We have packed days on our calendar. There are so many amazing members that go with us to lessons. Sister Hedley and I are over the Vernal Unitah Stake which has 7 wards(Jensen, Davis 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th, Unitah and Ashley Creek). We always have somewhere to eat for dinner and many restaurants around here have free lunch for missionaries. It is such a blessing! I have already been able to use my fanatic family history skills to help a newly baptized member to start on his family history.
We have so many people we could talk about.... Kyle, who is a wiccan and is only taking the discussions because of a girl. Chad, who calls Jesus 'his man' and has a love for him but won't read the Book of Mormon because he feels he doesn't need to. Erin, who we randomly stopped by at and she brushed us off at first but Sister Hedley and the Spirit some how managed a sit down chat about the gospel and a return appointment. The Prebe Family, who has three girls that are SO strong in the church and are good examples to their less active mother. Everyone is amazing and it just flabbergasts me every time I walk into another wandering child of God's door. God prepared them ALL.
We have a truck to drive around in because Jensen is 70% dirt roads. Sister Hedley says we are probably the only Sister Missionaries with a truck in the mission :P Ah, also we live in a little side house/apartment on a members property. We get free automated car washes because our land lord owns them.
A bit about the Mission President: He is awesome. He genuinely cares for all of us and is a pretty laid back guy unless you abuse your privileges. Privileges such as: Our mission is the first to have iPads for each missionary(I don't have one yet but I am not complaining) and we do Facebook. About Facebook: anyone can post gospel related subjects on my wall. I can Skype teach people the first lesson or IM them! Crazy! I haven't done that yet, so I will let you know how that goes.
More later,
Sister Sarah Meldrom
No comments:
Post a Comment