Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20th, 2014

Last Sunday we spoke in the Edgemont 6th ward and later that evening
we had a Sister from that ward call us and tell us she wanted to
starting meeting with us. On Monday we had our first appointment with
her and mainly focused on her needs and what she wants to try to
achieve. She is working towards being worthy to go to the temple but
can't seem to shake her habit of smoking. She told us that she thinks
it is a stress habit and how she use to drink out of stress. She told
us many concerns and we responded best we could. We gave her some
suggestions to help her quit and also challenged her to set a goal for
herself of a specific day in which she will be completely done. We
could tell from this meeting her desire is sincere and also how
difficult it will be for her but we know, and she also agreed, that
through Christ anything is possible. I am grateful for the opportunity
we had to speak in her ward so she could feel the spirit and get
acquainted with us a bit so that she was comfortable calling us. What
a blessing it is to help her reach her goal of the temple.

This week we met with two former investigators ( nonmembers of the
church who were taught before but the lessons discontinued for various
reasons) both of whom are wonderful daughters of God.

The first was on Tuesday. Her name is Sister Evens, she is in her 70s
and lives currently with her son in law and grandsons. She is going
through chemotherapy and often rests most of the day. She isn't in a
state to be able to go to church often but we did invite her to the
Primary Program her Ward is having. She said she would enjoy that. She
also expressed the desire to keep learning about the church. We
assured her we would do the best we could. We hope that through this
next round of chemo, going for 5 more months, she will be cancer free
and able to do more of the things she enjoys!

The second lady is Sister Jensen. We briefly met her a week ago
and decided to stop by on Thursday to understand her religious
background and desires better. We asked some questions like 
What is your belief of God? and How does your belief help you?
and she responded politely. At one point she paused our
conversation and told us she 'knew what we were doing' and that she is
not a 'baptismal candidate.' We assured her that we genuinely wanted
to learn more about her and her beliefs and weren't visiting with her
only because we invite others to be baptized. We expressed our love
for her, as our sister, and bore our testimonies of God. She is very
respectful of our beliefs, though our understanding of who God is is
different. We left after our conversation with a deep respect for this
sister and we were honored that she seemed to have connected with us
as well. She bid us travel safely and seemed touch as we left with,
"We love you". I know that God's love transcends any boundaries.

Sister Inman received her IPad this pat week which was a GREAT
blessing! Now we can send out twice as many emails and such. I never
have appreciated the use of each of us to an IPad than these past
couple weeks! They are truly a great tool in the efforts we make.

I personally want to be better about talking to everyone that I am
permitted to see. It is a difficult, but I know not impossible, thing
for me to do. All kinds of excuses come to mind when I see people. 
'Oh they don't want to be bothered', ' They are justing getting into their
car/ house' ...etc. I am praying as fervently as I can that I can look
back on this time in my mission and say that I did my best in talking
to everyone. I need to remember the peace I have felt from my
testimony of Christ and remind myself that everyone is worth pushing
past fears for. I hope I can utilize the enabling power of the
Atonement and be equal to this task with His help. :}

Time passes to swiftly! I haven't been able to tell you about even
half of the wonderful things God is allowing me to experience. And
these miracles are NOT limited to Provo Utah but to every place. An
invitation to a dinner, Family Home Evening, activity, service or trip
CAN make all the difference in someone's life. They may decline but at
least they know you care, right? So as I try to overcome my fear of
talking to people and inviting them to Christ, I challenge you to over
come your anxieties about inviting your friends, family and
acquaintances  to experience your love and ultimately, God's love, through
you!
God is good,


Sister Sarah Meldrom

No comments:

Post a Comment