Monday, October 13, 2014

October 13th, 2014

Dear All,
On Saturday we decided to walk around in the area that two of our wards cover and talk to people. We also asked the Ward Mission Leaders in those wards for anyone who has been on their mind that we could visit. It was these people we headed towards to visit but we stopped and talked to anyone in between as well. The result was meeting many members who are struggling in their own individual ways. We were able to bring to each of them our individual testimony of Jesus Christ. 
One Sister in particular stands out in my mind. When we tried the Nelson's the first time they weren't home. So we came back by later and Sister Nelson answered the door. We shared a scripture and bore our testimony of the Savior and told her we are seeking to strengthen everyone we can. She thanked us and told us she hasn't been active for years. We told her we were sharing our message and seeking to help build EVERYONE's testimony. She nodded and acted as to say farewell but we asked if we could pray first. We did and at the end she was silently crying. She stepped outside and started talking to us, thanking us for coming when she was in need. She told us how she was grieving over wayward children and how she didn't go to church because she couldn't handle the questions about how her children were doing. We listened and sympathized and encouraged her to slowly work back, one meeting, and day at a time. She agreed that she wanted to try. We gave her a hug and our phone number and told her if she needed anything we would try our best to help. We plan to let her know when we are going to her ward so we can sit with her and support her.
I am absolutely impressed with my new companion, Sister Inman. She is such a support to our area and teaches me. We have a special training program, nicknamed 12 Week (because it is 12 weeks worth of training), right now we are studying to help learn the how, why and what of missionary work. She just blows me away with her understanding and the way she expresses the doctrines of God's kingdom simply. I am constantly trying to be sensitive to any challenges she may be facing, remembering the difficulties I had when I was new, but she constantly has a smile and tells me she is alright. It causes me to marvel why I was such a blubbery new missionary :P

We helped a Sister this week pick up walnuts in her yard from her walnut tree and remove the green pod around the walnut shells. I never knew there was two layers you have to go through to get a walnut! It made we appreciate the hard work that goes into having walnuts in anything we eat!
On Wednesday, as a result from a cough I have developed, I lost my voice (or at least couldn't speak very loud) all of that day. It was frustrating but we managed through. I believe it was a blessing to Sister Inman because she had to do a lot more talking and she did wonderfully! CONFIDENCE BUILDER :)
We had ZTM this past Thursday. It was one of the best I have been to. I felt uplifted and ready to do better! The ideas and goals that we set I know will help us in our areas!
I have neglected to mention for quite a while that I am still going strong with my 'Hymn a day until my mission ends' study :) Today I read number 185,Reverently and Meekly Now . This has developed into one of my favorites. I love how it is written so that it is as Christ addressing us, pleading with us to use His Atonement and keep His commandments. 
What a wonderful, glorious gift that was given to us! How have YOU used Christ's Atonement today?
God is good,

Sister Sarah Meldrom

No comments:

Post a Comment