Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2nd, 2014 (Halfway There!)

Dear All,

Had a super fun and a bit exhausting District Activity last Monday where we hiked up to Timpanogos caves and toured them. Some nice members brought us and a somewhat patient park ranger gave us a tour. He had to practice his patience because many of us were taking pictures- especially Elder Law, our District Leader. I am still laughing internally at all the selfies that were taken as friends and companions putting us about 20 minutes behind in our tour :P!

I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to learn a little bit about human nature and gain some tools to communicate and some times negotiation these past couple of weeks :P Even though the last several months have been hard, I wouldn't trade it for easy times. Hard times just drive my anchor deeper in my testimony of Christ and his Atonement. It changes our 'natural man state' into 'Christlike state' one step at a time :)(see Mosiah 3:19)

I have been reminded this week through a couple experiences with various people in the area that have had friction with my previous companion, that we really don't know the real intents and thoughts of those around us. It is so important to give people the benefit of the doubt, after all we would like others to over look our weaknesses, so why would it be different for them? We are all learning and growing and striving to do the best we know how. Christ welcomes the flaw to sit and dine at his table where the feast is his love and his teachings, which nutrition us eternally. This is the bread of life that he says will cause us to hunger no more as he described in his mortal ministry. He is the bread of life.

Transfer results are that I have a spectacularly fun and focused companion. We hit it off instantly! We have many of the same likes and dislikes and everyday has been a delightful adventure! Her name is Sister McIntire from Spokane Washington. She is the 6th of 7 kids and has been out a transfer more then me(so 10 months she has been out.) We have enjoyed singing, giggling, teaching and getting to know one another. She is a great missionary that has a neat ability to explain doctrine just right that it uplifts and carries the Spirit while at the same time puts all that hear at ease because of the smile on her face and her kind voice. I am sure you can't tell that I absolutely love her!

We have had many amazing lessons this week but the ones that stands out to me the most was on Sunday. We have this less active family we are working with to help them to the temple. They have been coming to church the past two weeks and we are encouraging them to pray as a family. Our lesson was on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is our road map for this mortality and how we can draw closer to Christ. It is a pattern for us to follow, through Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End, we can gain eternal life! I loved this lesson because as we finished I saw and felt the change of heart this couple has had already! They use to be very stand offish and uncomfortable but they were relaxed and you could tell they had a hope in Christ that they CAN make it to the temple! This change happened outside our appointments in their own personal time with their Savior. For the first time ever they mentioned reaching the temple and even connected it to how these 5 simple things help them to draw closer to their goal! I am so happy for them! What an amazing, simple experience! What an amazing thing is the Spirit of God that changes hearts and strengthens our resolve to do good and to love God!

As I finish this email I can't believe I am two days short of being 9 months out! Has time flied so very fast for you as well? I am grateful I am able to serve! I have learned so much already and I look forward to everything I will learn the remaining 9 months! God is so good to me. I want you all to know that I know that Christ lives! He is helping me and enabling me to keep on keeping on every minute of my life! I know that it is only through following His teachings and example throughout our lives that will bring us lasting happiness here and forever. That is the whole reason He came, for us.

Happy June and Happy Summer! Jump in the pool for me and use the time you have to gather your family around you and make lasting memories!
God is good,
Sister Sarah Meldrom

No comments:

Post a Comment