Monday, June 9, 2014

June 9th, 2014


Dear All,

Have I mentioned yet that I love having Sister McIntire as a companion? :P She is my kind of crazy sweet! I thank Heavenly Father everyday for allowing me to rub shoulders with her.

This week I received a Facebook message from a FB friend whom has recently been going through a difficult time. As many times as I feel prompted I message her with inspiring quotes but nothing about God because she has asked it to be so. Anyway, like I said, this week I had a message from her and in it she thanked me for messaging her kind quotes and pictures. She continued that she often feels like she is drowning or can't breathe as she has struggled through, but most recently she has been able to smile. She has been able to laugh. She said she didn't know why this was so, but I did. There is evidence on her page that she is welcoming the peace of God to enter her heart and life once again. I replied my thanks and also told her I knew it was a loving God that would guide me to send thoughts to her. I also said I sometimes feel like drowning but one source of solace I have found is the picture of Christ reaching down to save a sinking Peter. We are all often like Peter, drowning in our misery, disappointment, stress and temptations. Christ does for us what he did for Peter, always.

Tuesday and Wednesday were crazy busy with regular appointments. Each lesson is a small miracle but nothing stands out to me to share specifically.  On Friday and Saturday evening we stopped by many peoples homes but found very little of anyone home. No effort is wasted though. Because of the simple experiences we did have with those whom were home, one brother came to church for the first time in several years and we also received a less active member referral. The less active member is a recently returned missionary that didn't have a positive experience with family and friends when she returned and because of it hasn't gone to church since. We are going to keep our eyes open for her and talked to, invite her to go to lessons with us and hopeful spark a friendship and help her feel loved.

No one came to our church tour on Friday but that is okay :) We were able to smooth out some kinks and brainstorm some good ideas for next time so that all who attend can feel the special Spirit that is at the chapel.

Our landlady invited us for dinner on Sunday and so we went early, helped her cook and after, washed all her dishes though she insisted that that was her job. When all was finished we sat down at the table and shared a short Mormon message video about forgiveness. The simple thought we had planned turned out to be mostly listening to her and talking about prayer. She hasn't prayed for any of her concerns or needs in years. She sees pray much like the phone number 911 - only in case of an emergency. We bore our testimonies that our Heavenly Father loves us and wants to hear all that we have to say, every day. As a commitment we told her we were going to have evening prayer with her every night. Later we did so, having her offer it. She gave a simple but sincere prayer. This experience helped me to see the vulnerable widowed sister that she is and my heart increased in love for her. Because of tendencies she has to gossip and speak ill about her neighbors, many people don't like her.  I felt and saw from our discussion what many people have seen felt and seen about our landlady, she just needs unconditional love. I exhort all of you to forgive a hurt caused by another this week. It will lift your soul and gladden the heart. I am not promising bliss between parties but an increase of love for God's children. We are all fellow travelers on this journey we call mortality.

"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedth that which is great" -D&C 64:33
God is good,

Sister Sarah Meldrom

No comments:

Post a Comment