Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23rd, 2014

Dear All,

We had a neat throw together Family Home Evening with the Clements on Monday. We bought lollipops and three special toys after shopping and later, when we went to their house, we hid the three special toys. We then told the kids if they wanted some lollipops all they had to do was ask. They each asked for one and then another one and we just gave them all of them, so they were off our hands :P We then told them that there was three special toys to find and we would give them directions on where to find them. After they had found all of them we told them that this activity is much like prayer. Some blessings we get just from asking and some blessings we have to work for them. They loved the toys and seem to understand what we were helping them understand. The oldest, a seven year old girl, offered the closing prayer and said, 'Help us to find the blessings you have for us, everywhere.' I know that God does have blessings just waiting to give us if we just ask and other, special blessings in store if we just show our faith by working for them.

On Tuesday we brought flowers to a Sister that we haven't seen in a while. She was appreciative of the thoughtfulness and told us she wants to start taking the lessons again once she feels better. It is amazing how people recognize the Spirit we bring and want it to keep coming back to fill their lives. It is nothing we do, but all about what God knows and does for His children.

This week we also brought around two painted mini birdhouses and some Kool Aid packets with little sayings on them for those whom we felt needed a little pick me up. Each Kool Aid packet delivered, except one, had the person of interest answer the door and good conversations ensued. The most notable stop-by, however was the purple and white birdhouse Sister McIntire painted. We decided to bring it to a less active Sister we are trying to get a hold of. She answered the door and apologized, like she always does, that she couldn't visit right now. She was just leaving the house for the night to go out with a friend. We assured her we only wanted to stop by and give her a birdhouse. She accepted it thankfully then said, 'So you heard then?' We looked at each other then at her, very confused. I asked, 'Heard about what?' Emotion then came to her face and her eyes moistened. She went on to tell us that her son had been wrongfully imprisoned just two days before and would most likely be there for thirty days. We hugged her and offered words of comfort and support. Sister McIntire told her that we didn't know what was going on, but we know that God knew. She agreed. We promised to pray for her and her son and to come to visit soon. For Sister McIntire and I this was one of the countless miracles that God worked through us and around us this week.

My Zone had the opportunity to walk at the front of the Pleasant Grove Strawberry Days Parade to hand out programs for the parade. I couldn't help smiling the whole time! People would cheer and holler when they saw us, about 8 Elders and 10 Sisters walking along passing out the programs. I don't think I liked the applause we got as much as I liked the excitement on the children's faces when they saw us and the energy that appeared in every spectator as we passed, and the smiles! For me a smile is worth countless trials! I love to see others smile!

We had the opportunity as a companionship to be present in a meeting with Elder Randall of the Area Seventy. He met with Sister McIntire and I, the Lindon Stake Presidency, the High Councilor over Missionary work and the Senior Missionary Couple. He began with asking us what we had studied then told us something along the lines of, 'What we read in the scriptures will be of worth to us every day. It really is our spiritual protection against temptations and sin.' He continued for about 2 hours to instruct all of us. He is kind and has a sense of humor so the meeting was by no means extremely tense. After the meeting the challenge he left all of us to be a better missionary personally. This caused me and my companion to ponder and then write out an idea we had to present to the Lindon Stake Presidency on how we can improve efforts made in the Stake. We met with the High Councilor over missionary work, presented our thoughts and he agreed, these where the same ideas he had; they were great ideas. This added to my testimony that when we have ideas to present, the best time to present it is now and that God allows us imperfect people to receive revelation from Him so we can work to bless our lives, but mostly others.
We look forward to applying these ideas and helping the Lindon Stake of Zion to broaden their minds and extend the arm of love and friendship to everyone, just as Jesus Christ would.

To finish up I loved getting a Moose Track shake from a local restaurant this past week! That is my favorite 'loaded' ice cream :P TENDER MERCY! God blesses me every day. I have much to be grateful for! I am most grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that He lives, that He knows me personally. I know I am nothing, yet everything to Him. I trust that He will always guide me in the right direction. I know that the work I go about is His work. These are His children and He knows their needs. He will bless others lives through us if we but let Him. I can never express the full extent of His mercy toward me! God is good!

Sister Sarah Meldrom

No comments:

Post a Comment