Dear All,
The rough patches of the week are swallowed up in the joy of Christ as I reflect on my week:
On Tuesday, this week, we went with a Relief Society President to a less active Sisters home. We planned on sharing the Restoration with her but just ended up sharing a scripture because she had a lot to vent, not rudely, about her struggles right now. We mostly listened to her and marveled at her strength! Her mother in law (she lives with), her husband and her two children all have some degree of autism. Because of her sons schooling she HAS to leave his trash on the floor to teach him to recognize responsibility and such. She hasn't been to church since her childhood and doesn't remember or know much of the gospel and admitted at times that she didn't feel close to God. We commented on how strong she has been and we all recognized together that God has been helping her immensely! Even the softening of her husband's heart to even allow the church in their home. This is an example of one of my favorite things that I have seen on my mission, how far God has helped them along already. I am not 100% sure why I love this, perhaps because I feel the same way. God has helped me SO much already, and I know He is continually there.
Also on Tuesday, we went to a less active couples home and planned to share the Restoration but the husband was very stand offish and so we just shared about God's love and the First Vision(when Joesph Smith prayed to know what church to join and a vision appeared unto him of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ). He doesn't believe really that God is there or that prayers help him in any way. All of this started just because people around him 8 years ago wouldn't leave him alone about serving a mission. As I sit here typing, I marvel at the cunning craftiness of Satan. Because this brother cut himself off from the church it eventually led him to question all that he has previously held dear. He did admit to us that he still loves the Primary songs and Hymns. We had a good visit with them. We challenged him to at least pray once this week and to watch General Conference next weekend. He was iffy about both but said yes anyway. Another instance in my mind just how important it is to be converted unto God and we become converted as we consistently exercise our faith in Christ by attending church where we can be strengthened and strengthen others, pray to God and read our scriptures. Though these small and simple things we get protection from Satan and his lies.
On Thursday we visited with a divorced father and his two teenage daughters. We planned to talk about the Gospel of Jesus Christ but ended up just talking about Faith. The 14 year old daughter asked us how someone can still have faith even when it has been 'smashed and grounded up'. This dear young Sister has seen much in her life already and is hurt. She sees all that has happened to her,amidst her doing what she should, but it never has ceased. She is constantly feeling crushed down, not listened by God and bitter. Sister Nomo and I got several impressions from this lesson, foremost that she needs her patriarchal blessing and help to find friends in the church. Good friends do make all the difference!
Later on Thursday we had a wonderful lesson with a group of weekly regulars three less active women. We taught about the Word of Wisdom and had a good discussion. Over the past weeks, I have been here in Lindon, I have seen and heard each of these women struggle with something we talk about each lesson but in this lesson they each bore their testimony how they know abstaining from certain things blesses them, and how eating healthy blesses them also. They not only know the principles of the 'Lord's law of health', but have experienced it too!
On Sunday we went to the Care Center Branch. What a sweet spirit was there! At one point a Brother stood up and bore his testimony. None of us, I believe could understand a word he said, but I know God knew what he was saying, and I believe he knew also because half way in he choked up and wept a bit. What a spirit of simplicity was there! These adults know they are children of God. There is no fancy flourish, no well prepared speech, but sincere testimony of Jesus Christ.
I bear my humble testimony that God does love us. I know that Jesus Christ lives! This is not a passive statement. I know He lives! I have experienced the joy of looking to Christ in all things, despite what obstacles arise. The peace in my heart at the time of my want speaks louder to me that God lives then anything else in my life. I love my Savior so much I can't find words enough to express it. I echo the words of the Prophet Joesph Smith in Doctrine and Covenants section 76 verse 22(see www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament?lang=eng) :
"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!"
God is good,
Sister Meldrom
No comments:
Post a Comment